Protect Your Rights And Driving Privileges After A DUI Arrest
Those moments when police car lights came up behind you must have been frightening. If you were arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, you may now wonder how to get your future back on track.
If all goes well in your defense, those scary moments may fade into your distant memory. At Karen Scarborough, Attorney at Law, we work hard to help people charged with crimes find a second chance. The first order of business is to work to restore or preserve your driving privileges. Request an administrative hearing within 10 days with our help.
What Defenses Might You Have?
If a police officer declared you were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, defenses in your favor might include one or more of these factors:
- The police officer was unjustified in stopping you in the first place. If there was no clear rationale for the traffic stop, all evidence gathered after that point may be dismissed.
- The police officer did not inform you of your rights. Did he or she insist that you had no choice but to submit to a breath test? Or fail to remind you that you had the right to legal counsel? Discovery of police errors could resolve your case.
- The field sobriety test results are unreliable for some reason. Perhaps you were ill, but not inebriated. Perhaps the Breathalyzer had not been recently tested or calibrated. Your charges may not hold up.
This description of some common defenses in DUI/DWI cases is not comprehensive and is not intended to be legal advice. For an evaluation of potential defenses in your case, consult with an attorney right away.
Beware Of Tough Consequences Of A Conviction
The stakes are high after a DUI/DWI arrest since a conviction will inevitably mean one or more of these negative repercussions:
- A criminal record
- Jail or prison time
- Fines and other penalties
- A requirement to use an ignition interlock device (IID)
- Higher auto insurance rates
- A driver’s license suspension or revocation now or in the future
The sooner you have a defense lawyer on your side, the greater chances you will have for a successful result, such as:
- Probation instead of jail time
- Deferred sentencing
- No criminal record
- Restoration of your driving privileges
- Acquittal at trial
- A case dismissal
No defense attorney can promise a particular outcome, but Karen Scarborough, Attorney at Law, can promise a determined, skillful effort to protect your rights and future.